Monday 30 January 2012

Adrienne Rich

Memory says, want to do it right? Don't count on me...
I'm a canal in Europe where bodies are floating
I'm a mass grave I'm the life that returns
I'm a table set with room for the Stranger
I'm a field with corners left for the landless
I'm a man-child praising God he's a man,
I'm a woman who sells for a boat ticket
******************************************
I'm an immigrant tailor who says A coat
is not a piece of cloth only

........................................................

I have dreamed of Zion I've dreamed of world revolution
          I'm a corpose dredged from a canal in Berlin
A river in Mississippi. I am a woman standing
I am standing here in your poem, Unsatisfied.


'An Atlas of the Difficult World' (1991)





I read this from 'The Location of Culture'(Bhaha), and found it really beautiful yet melancholic by implicating global minorities's situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment